On Sun., Oct.16th we had the Celebration & Historical Recognition of the 100 Year Anniversary of the Original Ocean Beach Library at the Sutliffe Building- 1951 Abbott St., Falling Sky Pottery & 1959 Abbott St., Newbreak Coffee & Café
(Corner building at Abbott St. & Santa Monica Ave.)
Proceeds to Pay for a Historical Plaque on The Sutliffe Building- Other proceeds are split between the Ocean Beach Historical Society & Friends of the Library
The event included: Music, Art & Historical Photos Exhibit, Coffee & Snacks, Historical Block Walk & 50/50 Opportunity Drawing, Historical Cars, and more!!! Some of the attendees dressed in attire from 1916 – 1928, many taking their photos by the antique cars supplied by the Horseless Carriage Club of SD. We thank all the wonderful musicians and helpers especially those from OBHS and Friends of the Library that made this a fabulous event. We also thank the office of Supervisor Ron Roberts for a proclamation that was presented. A special thanks goes to Newbreak Coffee Cafe, Falling Sky Pottery for hosting the event and Raindrops Bikini Store for putting up our historical window.
Sutliffe Building-The Original O.B. Library- Since it’s beginning, the “Sutliffe Building” on the NW corner of Abbott St. & Santa Monica Ave. has been a very important of part of OB’s history. In 1916 the very first Ocean Beach branch of the San Diego Public Library opened in the “Sutliffe Building” storefront. One room was used for the library and one room was used for storage, office, book intake and other “library tasks.”
Miss Kate Spani, raised $200 to buy shelves and materials for furniture, which pioneer residents built. The library was surrounded by a noisy amusement park, but patrons were asked to speak in a whisper.
Next to the library was the jail. The four tops of the jail cell’s thick concrete columns can still be seen in Newbreak Coffee & Café.
In part of the 1970s-80s, Buford Seals a colorful character known as “The Candyman” owned and operated Buford’s Candy Store at 1959 Abbott St. In that same space the Newbreak Coffee & Café opened in 1999, where famed musician Jason Mraz, at the beginning of his career, played on Saturday evenings that summer.
Many wonderful businesses were in this building the first 100 years. These included a camera store, several surf shops, jewelers, a bikini shop, restaurants and coffee houses.
Both Stonehedge Leather and Falling Sky Pottery opened there in 1969, becoming an important part of O.B.’s artisan community.- Sponsored By the Ocean Beach Historical Society & Friends of the Library
Filed under: Uncategorized |